Long Island is known for its scenic landscapes all around the world. The open roads with breathtaking views with open air is like a heaven for motorcyclists. However, these roads are also the pathway for trucks and when their paths collide with motorcyclists, devastating accidents can take place. These types of accidents are unfortunately very common in Long Island and thus dealing with their legal aftermath is also very common. To deal with such accidents you need to know the legal procedures so that you can navigate the legal maze.
The Unfair Battleground:
These incidents are normally unfair because of physical differences between motorcycles and trucks. Due to huge differences in size, motorcyclists are often left in a much more miserable state than any other vehicle. Motorcyclists lack protective gear like cars and hence they face severe injuries, some of which are incurable such as brain and spinal cord injuries, amputations and even disability.
Identifying the Causality:
Like all the other cases, determining liability is the most important and difficult part in these accidents. It can depend on various factors, such as:
- Lane Changes: Motorcycles or trucks making abrupt changes and switching lanes without proper indications can lead to collisions.
- Speeding: If two people are driving too fast it increases the chances of collision more than anticipated.
- Distracted Driving: The chance of accidents is too high if the drivers are not paying attention to the road.
- Lane Splitting: Even though lane splitting is legal in some countries. It can contribute to accidents too.
- Defective Vehicle: Make sure to check your vehicle before leaving. Defective Vehicle can lead to severe accidents even when you’re careful on the road.
Understanding the Legal Landscape:
Understanding the legal process is not easy, neither can a regular person understand it. After a truck and motorcycle collision you need a skilled legal representative to guide you on your journey of justice. They can get you through the complexities of legal procedure and help you get the compensation you need. Thos could include:
- Collect Evidence: Gather any type of information you can get about the accident. Medical reports, surveillance footage, witness statements, or anything that can be helpful in building a strong case.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be difficult after an accident, they can give you less compensation than you deserve. Your attorney can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and make sure that you receive your due compensation.
- Bringing a Legal Action: If negotiations didn’t work out, then your attorney can file a case against the other party and represent you in court.
Other than legal proceedings there are several important aspects that need your attention. Such as:
- Medical Attention: After an accident, the first most vital thing to do is to seek immediate medical attention and take care of your injuries.
- Record Keeping: Keep a record of all the important things such as medical bills, missed wages and other expenses related to the accident.
- Remaining Aware: You should be aware of all the deadlines regarding your case and keep up with your lawyer regarding your case developments.
- Emotional Support: Seek emotional support from your friends or family to overcome the trauma of the accident. You can even talk to a professional to help you get through the emotionally difficult time.
Indeed, legal resources can help you get the justice you deserve, but still, you should take some safety measures to protect yourself from any mishap. Following are some safety tips for drivers of Long Island:
- Riders should wear safety gear, avoid speeding, check for any fault in their vehicle, avoid switching lanes without viewing the surrounding and be aware of blind spots.
- Truck Drivers should maintain a safe distance from motorcyclists, avoid distractions, check blind spots, and avoid speeding.
Remember, you are sharing the road with other people, and it requires mutual respect, awareness and patience.
By understanding the challenges and complexities of truck and motorcycle collisions we can not only avoid them but also face them through legal procedures if necessary. If you want to know more or want to have a free discussion with our skilled attorney, then call now for a free consultation (718) 414-6642.