Construction sites are dangerous sites and accidents can happen more often and severe than anticipated. If you’ve unfortunately been in any such situation then navigating the legal procedure can seem bit overwhelming. You should about your rights and how to claim them.
- Seek Medical Attention: Seek immediate medical attention after any accident, even if you think your injuries are minor you should still visit a professional, as it’ll be helpful for your claim later.
- Report the Accident: Inform your supervisor or employer immediately. Follow the reporting procedures and ask for written notification of your report.
- Collect Evidence: Take pictures of the accident site, any damage to equipment or your injuries. If someone saw the accident, then try to take their witness statement and contact information.
- Consult an Attorney: The aftermath of any accident can be complex to navigate on your own, you should talk to a professional for better consequences. An experienced construction site attorney can help you navigate the legal maze more smoothly.
- Worker’s Compensation:Most construction workers are covered by worker’s compensation insurance, which provides medical benefits and wage replacement for work-related injuries, regardless of fault.
- Third-Party Liability:If a third party, such as a subcontractor or equipment manufacturer, was responsible for the accident, you may have a third-party liability claim to recover additional damages beyond the worker’s compensation. This can include distress, missed wages, and any medical expenses.
- Product Liability: You may have a product liability claim against the manufacturer if defective equipment was involved in the accident.
- Wrongful Death:If the accident resulted in any death, then the family members may file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages for their loss.
- Negligence: Through this claim you can prove that the employer or another party didn’t provide a safe work environment, which led to the accident.
- Product Liability: This claim targets the manufacturer of any damaged product that contributed to the accident.
- Breach of Contract:If the employer violated safety protocols outlined in a contract, a breach of contract claim may be possible.
Besides the above-mentioned things you need to be careful of the following things.
- Do not share any information about your case with anyone. Do not discuss any information with anyone other than your attorney or doctor.
- Keep a record of all the expenses regarding the accident, such as hospital bills, missed wages, damaged property or equipment. This is crucial for your case.
- You should be patient as legal matters take time. It can be overwhelming and complex sometimes, but you should stay calm and patient.
- Seek emotional help. Accidents can be hard to bear emotionally and physically. You should seek emotional support for your mental health.
By following these steps and seeking expert guidance, you can navigate the legal complexities after a construction site accident and work towards achieving the justice you deserve. Remember, your well-being and securing appropriate compensation are the main goals.
If you want to discuss you case to an expert attorney, then contact now for a free consultation at (718) 414-6642.