In this bustling world everyone is in hurry to reach somewhere, and when everyone is in such a hurry accident takes place more often than we think they do. The victims of hit and run cases are often left in a state of misery and distress because of the injustice. In this state, the psychological trauma is sometimes more concerning than the actual injuries. But in this miserable situation, taking the right steps at the right time is the most important thing, and this comprehensive guide will show you how and when you need to take those steps.
Step 1: Responding Right Away:
- Safety First: Check for any injuries. Be certain that you and everyone around you that were involved in the accident are all right.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you think that your injuries are small or you are not injured at all, in both cases you should seek medical consultancy.
- Collect Evidence: You must try to record the moments after the accident. Take photographs of any injuries you have suffered, any damage to your car or anything left behind by the driver. If it is possible then try to note the license number of the car.
- File a complaint: File a complaint right away, it will be your first step towards justice. Corporate with police in every feasible way, give police all the information about the accident.
Step 2: Preparing You Argument:
- Talk to your insurance provider: Discuss with your insurance provider about the accident. Tell them about the damages and get started on the claim procedure.
- Gather Testimonies: If, by any chance someone was there at the time of collision and saw it, try to get their written statement. It will work as the an important piece of evidence.
- CCTV Footage: Look for any CCTV cameras or traffic cameras around the location of the collision. Collect its footage before someone deletes it, as it will also be an important piece of evidence.
- Speak with a lawyer: Seek legal help and talk with a reputable hit and run case lawyer. Take their advice as it will help you navigate the legal maze more smoothly.
Step 3: Negotiate with the Other Party:
- Finding the driver: Your main goal is to find the at-fault driver or car, so that you can reach the driver. Your attorney can dig deeper with the information you provided him and can help you locate the driver.
- Think about mediation: Considering the circumstance, this can be an easy and quicker way to resolve the dispute. A third-party mediator can help resolve the dispute between you and the at-fault party, by bringing a neutral solution.
- Consider litigation: Be prepared to take the dispute in court if the mediation technique does not work out. Your attorney will represent you in court and help you receive the compensation you are due.
Step 4: Looking for Compensation:
- Medical Cost: Legally you will receive compensation for all your medical expenses. Regardless of the number of injuries you received, whether they are minor or major, you will receive compensation in both cases.
- Missed Wages: You will receive equal compensation for the wage you lost because of the injury.
- Distress: You are eligible for financial support considering the aftereffect of accident on your mental and physical health.
- Damaged Vehicle: If your vehicle was damaged in the accident then you will receive compensation for it.
Step 5: Dealing with the Emotional Impact:
Other than physical impact the psychological impact of any accident can be very distressing, and it can take you several days or weeks to overcome the emotional trauma you went through. In that case, dealing with that trauma in a proper way is important for you to lead a normal and healthy life afterwards.
- Seek Help: Talk to your family, friends, or anyone you are close to about that incident to release the trauma. If you think only talking about it cannot help you heal, then you can always see a professional for better results.
- Prioritize Mental Wellness: You should always make your physical and mental health a priority, and especially after an event like this, you should always be engaging in activities that will help you heal. Do not let any accident take away the spark from your life.
Dealing with a hit and run case can be overwhelming and challenging, especially when it mentally and physically affected you, but with the right support and proper guidance you can always receive the justice you are due. Always seek legal help in such cases and use the available resources and information for your benefit. Remember, US Legal Law is always there to help you!
If you need any type of legal help regarding your case, then call now for a free consultation (718) 414-6642