Buffalo, the city of New York is known for its water’s beauty. Due to Lake Erie and Niagara River running through it, Buffalo has a large boating community. But with this large boating community, unfortunately accidents can happen even on the most peaceful days. Accidents are inevitable; you can use some safety tips but sometimes destiny has other plans. If you’re ever involved in accidents, then you should know your rights and what to do to stay safe.
What is a Watercraft Accident?
A watercraft accident is an accident in which water objects such as boats, vessels, jet ski or other types of vessels are involved. These accidents can cause minor as well as major disasters. Some of the common cause of watercraft accidents are:
- Operator Error: The leading cause of watercraft accidents is operator error. This can occur due to inexperienced or new boaters, distracted boaters or boaters who are under influence od drugs or alcohol.
- Mechanical Failure: This is the second leading cause of watercraft accidents because sometimes accidents can occur due to mechanical faults or equipment failure of boats such as steering problem or engine malfunction.
- Weather: Weather can also affect the boating community. Bad weather such as rainy weather or high winds can cause watercraft accidents.
- Collisions: Like motor vehicles, boats can also collide with other boats or vessels and cause accidents which can be minor or major.
What to do if you’re Involved in a Watercraft Accident?
If you’re ever involved in any accident the most important thing to do is to stay calm and assess the situation. Here are some steps to take care of:
- Seek Medical Help: Make sure that everyone is safe in the boat, get settled down and stay calm.
- Secure your boat: If you’re still in water make sure to secure your boat so it doesn’t drift away. You can also try to tie it to the dock.
- Exchange Information: Exchange information with other boat drivers, if you collided with other boats such as their names, contact information etc.
- Gather Evidence: If possible, take pictures of the damage and injuries to support your claim later.
- File a report: File a report of the accident within 10 days, beware of the time limitations.
How can you stay safe on Buffalo Waterways:
Accidents are sometimes inevitable, but there are some steps you should take for your and your loved one’s safety:
- Learn to operate the boat: Take a boater safety and operating course before you enter the buffalo water with the boat.
- Wear a life jacket: According to the New York Law one should always wear a jacket that fits you perfectly.
- Keep a check on weather: Beware of the weather don’t ride the boat if the weather is not favorable. Also be prepared if the weather changes while you’re still on the boat.
- Look out for other boaters: Look out for other boaters and vessels so that you don’t collide with any of them.
- Stay Sober: Don’t drink before going on the boat, as being drunk increases the chances of collisions.
By following these tips, you can be saved from any collisions or watercraft accidents. But if you’re involved in any watercraft accident then talking with a personal injury lawyer is the best option for you as they will guide you and help you throughout your tough journey of dealing with legal procedures.
If you need to know more about your situation then call now for a free consultation (718) 414-6642.